Personal injury and civil justice attorney Brooks Cutter is a leading advocate for consumer justice and protecting the rights of the severely injured.
Brooks is a founding partner in the premier California plaintiffs law firm, with offices in Oakland and Sacramento, California. Brooks represents clients with significant personal injuries in the areas of medical negligence, consumer class actions, dangerous drugs and defective medical devices, insurance bad faith, consumer fraud, auto, trucking and motorcycle accidents, brain and spinal cord injuries, asbestos exposure and whistleblower/False Claims Act cases.
Brooks has a long-established, respected reputation as a skilled trial attorney and a record of proven success, including Sacramento County's highest jury verdict on record for medical malpractice. He has received numerous honors for his advocacy on behalf of clients injured by carelessness, negligence, fraud or willful intent.
He is recognized nationally for his experience and skillful prosecution of complex consumer class action litigation and multidistrict mass tort cases. Brooks has been appointed by courts throughout the country as lead or co-lead counsel, plaintiffs' liaison or member of the plaintiffs' steering committee for numerous high-profile cases involving insurance bad faith, product liability, dangerous drugs and defective medical devices against manufacturers and corporate giants such as Medtronic Inc., Health Net, State Farm Insurance Co. and Johnson & Johnson.
Fluent in Spanish and a firm believer in the application of all necessary resources, Brooks uses the strength and experience of a diverse legal team, including multiple attorneys on every case, ensuring that the individual needs of a client are met with the attention and compassion necessary, while leaving no investigative stone unturned.
Brooks' most notable cases include:
A $7.6 million jury verdict on behalf of a client who suffered a spinal cord injury when her doctors failed to diagnose a tumor on her spine
$23.5 million in a whistleblower action against one of the world's largest medical device manufacturers, Medtronic Inc., for defrauding the federal government
Co-lead counsel for more than 200 individuals who were injured by a defective medical device manufactured by Johnson & Johnson (settlement confidential)
$240 million nationwide settlement -- Brooks was a member of the plaintiffs steering committee against Boston Scientific and Guidant on behalf of 5,000 clients injured by defective cardiac defibrillators.
$2.2 million proving a doctor intentionally concealed important information, which resulted in the wrongful death of a patient.
Community and Beyond:
A longtime resident of Northern California, Brooks is passionate about community outreach and is proud to be a member of the dedicated board of directors for Sacramento's Wind Youth Services, which helps homeless teens and young adults complete their education while obtaining the computer training and job and life skills necessary to be able to thrive independently.
Brooks is an avid triathlon competitor and devoted father of three, including his two daughters, Celine and Margot, who are attorneys at Cutter Law.
Areas of Practice
- Significant personal injuries
- Medical negligence claims
- Consumer class actions
- Dangerous Drugs
- Defective Medical Devices
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Consumer fraud
- Auto, trucking and motorcycle accidents
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
- Asbestos exposure
- Whistleblower/False Claims Act
- California, 1985
- Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- J.D. - 1985
- Spence Trial Lawyers College
- Faculty Member, Spence Trial Lawyers College
Honors and Awards
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2005 - 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Rated Attorney
- Advocate of the Year, 2007, Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association
- Finalist, 2005 Consumer Attorney of the Year, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Presidential Award of Merit, 2005, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Award of Merit, Sacramento Consumer Attorneys
- Best of the Bar, Sacramento Business Journal, 2014
- Sacramento Top 25 Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The State Bar of California, Member
- Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association (formerly Sacramento Consumer Attorneys), Board Member
- Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Former Board of Governors Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
Past Employment Positions
- Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the Honorable James R. Browning, Clerk, 1985 - 1986
- Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff, Sacramento, Founding partner
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, Trial Lawyers Care
- Board of Directors, Wind Youth Services